My Summer time Happy Place. . .

Hello my friends,
do you have a summer time happy place?
 
I certainly do!
 
 
It's not a place I can hang out in the heat of the day, but it's my little retreat after my early morning garden stroll and some evening relaxation. 
 
We've made a few changes this year.  One is we purchased a new patio set.
 
 
Hubby and I went to Home Depot one day and when we entered I spied this patio set and fell in love. We weren't really shopping for a new table set, but sometimes things just catch our eye.  Lucky for me it was on sale.  Unlucky for me it was the last one and the table was scratched.  The sweet gal helping us said that we could order it on line for the same price and free delivery right to our home.  :)
 
 
I love the lighter chairs and how the darker table matches the faux wicker pieces we already had. 
 

 
The table looks wood, but it is actually metal.

 
Happy accident that the table, faux wicker, and pergola
 are all dark brown.  Nothing really planned, it just fell into place.
 
 
The pops of aqua and coral make it bright and cheery.
 
 

I have two of these chairs that I used with my old table.  I can't decide whether or not to hang on to them or give them to one of our kids.  They rock and are very comfy.  It makes the space pretty busy with so much furniture, but when we all get together we certainly can use more seating. 
 
You can see our old table at the end of the patio.  It will be going to one of the kids.
 

 
I have wanted to hang this old window from the pergola for a few years.  I finally talked hubby into it.  lol!  I love the way it looks.  The only problem is the wicker love seat use to sit here.  It was a little scary having a huge window hanging over your head.  We moved the love seat to the other side.  But now when you sit in it you have a view of the back of our house instead of
our beautiful mountains.  :(

 
My planters are looking prettier each day.
 

Another seating area that is super cute, if you ask me.  (wink) However, it's not too comfy.  Every now and then, cuteness wins over comfort.  The little ones don't seem to mind.

 
Here's a wide view so you can see that there is quite a bit going on.
Too much for some I'm sure, but I love the cozy feel!
 
 
 

One thing I love about my happy place is that wherever I look I have a pretty view of the mountains or my sweet she shed,
"Hilltop Cottage"  I also can hear the sound of water from our pondless waterfall.  It's the perfect spot to sit and take a breather after cutting back perennials in the garden.  I rarely pull a weed, but I fill two garbage cans each week with clippings.
 
 
Whenever I go to Wal-mart I check the garden center.  They have a hard time keeping their plants watered.  Because of that they are constantly putting things on clearance.  I picked up two pots filled with geraniums and sweet potato vines for half price.  They looked pretty sad.  Tons of spent blossoms and yellow leaves.  I came home, deadheaded them and gave them a big drink of water.  Now there are lots of buds that will be blooming soon.  I plopped one into this chippy cast iron planter.  The other is in a washtub up on the rock wall.

 
This is my other 'happy place'!  I must confess, that I am not loving the color of the metal roofing right now.  Plus, you can see that there's a couple areas that is not rusting.  UGH!  Last year when we built it I really wanted the heavier metal that would 'rust'. And yes, it was more expensive.  I absolutely loved how it looked last fall.  But it continued to rust during the winter and now it's too orange for my taste.
 
  Gosh, how can I complain too much after all the work my family did building it for me?  I am just hoping it turns more brown.  Otherwise, you may find this girl up there sanding it.  I'm trying to be patient and see how it changes over the summer.
 
 
I've been going to call the place we bought the roofing and ask them what I could do about the non rusty spots.  I keep forgetting, this post will be a good reminder.
 
Things don't always turn out as planned, but it's no reason to not continue to be happy!
 
Happiness is a choice.  I choose to be happy!
 
hugs,
Jann
 
 I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
Gardens Galore

 
 

29 comments

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Looks so comfy! I like all your different seating areas :-)

Louca por porcelana said...

WONDERFUL!Love each detail!Such happiness!

Susie said...

Jann, I love your outdoor room. It's so pretty with the colors you have chosen. The shed is adorable...that roof will rust more. I love all your flowers containers too. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Linda W. said...

Your backyard is lovely! The perfect place to relax and enjoy the summer.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Beautiful backyard and so inviting.

sandi s said...

Your patio and yard are so pretty!!! What a wonderful place to hang out. Hugs,

Connie said...

You're right, Happiness is a choice :) As for your roof, I would just enjoy it and see what kind of changes it makes through the years on it's own. I'm very fond of orange and aqua or turquoise and I think it looks real pretty the way it is . . . even the places that haven't rusted make it appear more natural than if it had of rusted evenly. Your new table and chairs are beautiful, I especially like the chairs. Looks like you have plenty of room for a nice sized family together :)
Happy Summer!
Connie :)

happyone said...

Looks so very nice.
I just love being outside up at Happy Trails walking around.

Janice Smith said...

Your summer happy place would make me happy, too. It's all lovely.

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

You have a nice yard. Lots of pretty vignettes.

Ksunshine52 said...

Loved everything about your garden and shed! Just delightful! Thanks for sharing!

Rose L said...

Love the patio set and your garden! So relaxing!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love the busyness of your patio. It invites lots of people to gather. After 21 years in this house I finally decorated and put seating all the way around my wraparound front porch. It's just cozier. Your new table set is perfect for what you already had. I keep looking at outdoor tables and seating but we have no where to put them. I think over time your roof will rust to a perfect patina....hopefully it's not as long as some vintage things I find!!

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

Well, Mrs. Olson...your landscape is just beautiful! I think the last time I visited, you were in the beginning stages of building your "she-shed." Everything looks so pretty! I ADORE the cottage, what a sweet little retreat to while away the hours in!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

what an amazing yard you have, it's gorgeous. love the new dining set you found, it's perfect!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Everything is so beautiful Jann. Love all your furniture and it looks so well together.

Your She Shed looks good - can you paint the metal roof?

I can see why you like to go out there and relax - it's a great place.

Have a wonderful week. It's sure HOT here.

Hugs,
Mary

Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes said...

Oh, Jann! Your gathering place looks so cozy and welcoming! It is a very special way to enjoy your garden with family and friends. I love the new table. It really does look like wood! All of your containers truly add interest and charm. I would have to walk around and admire each one (while sipping iced tea, of course!). Enjoy as much time as you can in your lovely Hilltop Cottage. Just thinking about it makes me smile! ♡

Unknown said...

Your yard is simply beautiful with all the plants and large stones. The She Shed is a delight. I am green with envy!

Southerncook said...

Love your patio area and your garden is quite simply amazing. The big tub on your patio, I have the same one and am getting ready to replant it. You've given me some great ideas.

Carolyn

Jeanie said...

The patio set is great! What a nice haven to spend those mornings (or any other time you choose!).

I have that same small turquoise table. Mine was white but went turquoise a couple of years ago! Great size! And I love all the turq accents in your space!

xinex said...

Your outdoor area is gorgeous, Jann. Love the furniture and love the mountain view....Christine

Pam Richardson said...

Jann, how beautiful your outdoor entertaining and relaxing space is! I could sit all day and enjoy your mountain view along with your beautiful garden and she shed!. My hubby said he would build me a potting shed, but he is so busy and I am trying to be patient. Your new table and chairs are perfect, and there is not too much going on for me, just more things to enjoy! Thanks sweet friend for sharing at Gardens Galore!

Gentle Joy said...

Jann... what a lovely garden sitting area. :) I love your flower box... almost looks like an old fashioned toolbox. A nice touch.

Pat @ bringingfrenchcountryhome said...

Hi Jann! I'm so envious of your gorgeous garden. Definitely a happy place. So funny, I just wrote a draft of an upcoming post and I titled it "My Happy Place." Great minds, huh? Enjoy your lovely spot and, oh, that view! Hugs, Pat

Lulu said...

What a wonderful space you have created for relaxing! I can imagine you there playing WWF and that makes me smile.

Rita C at Panoply said...

You are so cute, Jann. I love your commentary as you took us on a tour of your happy place (btw, your happy place would definitely be my happy place - so many wonderful places to relax. Ahem...except that cute spot - j/k!). Love the overall look you've happenstancely achieved with the browns of the wickers, table and pergola. And wow, your comment on cuttings vs weeds - I wish that were my case! It's the opposite for us, and the wild violets are determined to put up a good fight in trying to win taking over my landscape beds. Not gonna happen!
Beautiful Utah, beautiful views. Thanks for the tour.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wow everything looks fantastic! I love how you used the large rocks to frame your garden area. The garden shed is the coolest thing going. I'm sure in time the roof will be the way you want. Love the new dining set!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Oh, it is so gorgeous! I can see why it is a favorite spot. Thank you for sharing at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House! Hope you have a lovely weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week’s shindig. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2017/07/make-pretty-monday-week-219.html Happy Summer to you! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Instagram