A Garden Stroll. . .

Hello my friends,
do you have a favorite time to stroll your garden?
For me, that would either be in the morning or early evening.
Everything just seems to look prettier when it's not baking in the summertime sun.
Last week I took an early morning garden stroll. . .
The roses had just started to bloom.  This pretty climbing rose, Sally Holmes starts out peach and turns white when
 completely open.



I wish I had written down the names of my roses.  I have around 12, and know the names of very few.  Two of them have gone wild this year and will be replaced.  I'm going to write down their names in my garden journal!

A reader inquired as to what it means for a rose to go wild.  There is such a thing as an old fashioned wild rose.  They are generally orange or yellow, and I love them.

But, when a rose goes wild, it changes back to red, and the plant gets long straggly shoots.  The rose itself is nothing to rave about.  Just a simple single rose.  But it's the plant that becomes unappealing to me.  I am not sure what causes a beautiful rose to go wild.  I'll have to do some research on that.  :)



The salmon poppies were almost spent.  They bloom later than my other poppies.


I just love the center of Poppies!  More often than not they are filled with bees.


My ferns have actually been blooming for months, but I haven't shared a photo.  I love them because the starts came from my mother's garden!  They get bigger and I get more each year.  An old iron headboard is tucked in behind them.


Campanula Bell flowers are yearning for a drink from this hanging watering can.  What a temptress I am!  lol!


Penstemon, I cut back the spent blooms of my basket of gold months ago, but somehow missed this one in front.  It will get worked over tomorrow.  :) I always get a second bloom when I do that.  Never as pretty as the first, but a bit of yellow amongst
 all my purple.


Dutch Iris by our pond less waterfall.


Delphiniums are one of my favorites.  These are so tall.  They tower over our fence


Husker Red Penstemon was the perennial of the year when I bought it.  It's name comes from the hint of red in the foliage.


Tonight I decided to take an evening stroll.
  All of the above, except the roses and ferns are spent and will be cut back tomorrow.
The work of a perennial garden is never done.  I don't mind, the reward is far greater than the task!

I cut my Jackmanii Clematis to the ground every fall.  It comes back and puts on a glorious show each summer!


These hot pink cottage rose flowers have seeded all over in one of my front beds.  I love the cottage look and leave quite a few of them.  Each spring I pull out a bunch.


This unique flower was given to me by a friend.  We are always sharing starts.  In fact the Cottage rose was given to me as well.  I always think of my sweet friends when I look at my garden.


She didn't know the name of it.  anyone have any idea?  I have tons of bees in my garden.  Jumbo's and bumbles. . .Love them all!!


little carnations


lilies, these are a very pale yellow.


I love the lacy foliage and large white blooms of the Black Lace Elderberry bush.


I bought this Campanula for $1.50 last year.  It's very different from my others.


Speaking of lacy foliage, A few years ago hubby and I vacationed in AZ.  We took a day trip to Bisbee.  Fennel grew wild along the roadside.  I stopped and dug up a start.  Silly me, now I have more than I want!  Growing wild should have tipped me off that it's hard to control.  lol!


Feverfew and Larkspur seed randomly throughout my garden.


I bought 3 Foxgoves for $1.50 from the same nursery as the Campanula.  They are all starting to bloom.  This one is peach, the other two are white and pink.  So happy they are different colors.  Love, love, love!

Coneflowers, another favorite.


I'm not a big fan of orange in the garden, other than poppies.  I swear this lily was pink last year.  Is that possible?  It is such a pretty orange that I don't mind!


False Indigo in the shade garden and a little ladder with succulents.


This beauty is another gifted start.  I think it has to be a Campanula as well.


I hope you enjoyed the early morning and evening stroll through my garden!

And look what I'll be frying up soon.  Yum!  We love fried cabbage!!

Grow, baby, grow! 


hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:

 


24 comments

Art and Sand said...

Your garden is spectacular!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

What a paradise! But, I'm stuck and hope you will help me. You said your rose was going wild and it would be replaced. I'm not much of a gardener, but trying to learn. Did you mean it's growing too big for the space or that you don't like the way it's shaped? or what? Help me learn. I'm sure others would benefit too. And, if I had to pick, I'd come home with that Day Lily.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Gorgeous flowers, and I love what you did with your watering can!! I may have to borrow that idea!

Connie said...

Your garden should be on some gardening TV show . . . it is stunning! It is easy to see that you put a lot of work into it . . . flowers don't grow that pretty without lots of love :)

Little Wandering Wren said...

My oh my, you certainly have green fingers, all your plants look so healthy. I take it you're not suffering from all this extreme heat we're hearing about?
Enjoy the fruits of all your hard labour.
Wren x

Southerncook said...

LOVE the watering can idea and I just happen to have an available iron hook and a hand painted watering can, brilliant idea and sooooo cute. BTW, I also really love that orange lilly. I think spots of orange make other things just pop. Your garden is beautiful. In our area of N FL we have had so much rain, heat and humidity that it has done so much damage to my garden with the exception of green things, ferns, grass, etc. Enjoyed your stroll through your garden.

Carolyn

Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Jann! I love strolling through my garden early in the morning, too. It's so peaceful in the early morning light. Your Delphiniums are just stunning and the fence shows them off beautifully! I adore your Clematis climbing up the ladder, too. Aren't Foxgloves lovely? Such old-fashioned charmers! Enjoy your happy hours in the garden this Summer, Jann! ♡

Jeanie said...

What a lovely garden, Jann. I am so fond of the pink roses. And I don't think I've ever seen salmon poppies before. Those are really stunning. What great joy it must bring you!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your flowers are all outstanding, Jann! What a beautiful and peaceful garden to enjoy! You obviously do not have deers eating your plants like I do...lol

happyone said...

Nice to take a stroll in your garden with you. It sure is pretty!!!
I like to walk around my yard in the evening after supper.

Ksunshine52 said...

Oh strolling through your garden was wonderful! I had not heard of roses going wild before so that was interesting! Thanks for sharing!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Such a lovely stroll! Thank you for inviting me along :-) I have the same ferns you do and I just love the look of them in the garden from early Spring till Fall. I have transplanted them to fill in areas and they do so well. I think your orange lily is a daylily, one of my favorite flowers in the garden.

Anonymous said...

Jan, what gorgeous flowers. I can't tell which are my favorite ~ the peach ones or the purple ones. I enjoy visiting the garden early in the morning. xo

Bonnie said...

I enjoyed strolling through your garden. Your ladder with succulents is so cute . Do you get caterpillars on your dill? The year I planted dill I enjoyed photographing a swallowtail caterpillar and at that time I learned that each species can be ideniified.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Beautiful garden Jann, thanks so much for taking us on your daily walks through your garden. You have so many beautiful flowers. I love when I get a start from a friend.
I always keep clippers in the car, just in case I see a plant or a rose.

Enjoy your week.

Hugs,
Mary

Pam Richardson said...

Jann, what a lovely morning and evening walk in your garden! Your blooms are spectacular, delphiniums are one of my favorites and yours are amazing. The clematis has really grown and thriving as it is climbing the ladder! I, too, love the watering can idea...we may see watering cans appear in all of our gardens! Thanks so much for sharing at Gardens Galore. I love learning from other gardeners!

Creations By Cindy said...

What a wonderful garden stroll. I love it all. Oh I wish I had all those beauties in my yard. Thanks for sharing dear Jann. Hugs and blessings, Cindy
P.S. We too LOVE fried cabbage.

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, speaking of cabbage, when you get a chance take a peek at my grandgirl's cabbage on this post. http://creationsbycindyphotography.blogspot.com/2017/05/this-and-that-and-whole-lot-of-cabbage.html
Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jackie said...

You've got some really nice blooms, so pretty. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are right about the clematis, it is Nelly Moser. I got it mixed up with another one I have (actually I have 6). I've changed it on my post, thanks for the heads up.

Kim said...

Your garden is lovely, Jann! I love all the flowers and the charming details.

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Thanks for the tour of your beautiful garden.

Unknown said...

You know that your garden is always something I've been drawn to. I would love to take a morning stroll there with you. Mine is coming along as I figure out what works and what doesn't. Just about the time we get everything the way we like it we'll probably retire to a low maintenance yard!
I enjoyed your beautiful pictures Jann.
Patti

Rhubarb and sweetpeas said...

Love your garden and all the flowers. Did you plan it all out yourself or have someone help do it? I am in the process of redoing the neglected yard of the house we bought and can use all the help and ideas I can get.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Your garden is pure bliss! Thank you for sharing at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House! Hope you have a lovely weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Instagram