Junk Gardening

Hello my friends, I know that many of you are like me and love 'junk gardening'
 
What is it that makes it so appealing?  For me, it's often the patina.  Yup, that chippy, rusty, and crusty finish that time worn
 treasures have!
 


Every year I tell myself, "Jann, you have enough garden junk, no more!"  And every year it goes in one ear and out the other.  :)
 
Last May I sold at a vintage flea, 'fleaology'.  I spied this darling made from an old bus seat, but told myself I didn't need it.  When it was still there at the end of the day and the seller came down $50 I couldn't resist!
 


It was that chippy aqua paint that stole my heart!  I planted the bottom with a fern and impatiens.  It sits just outside my door on the deck.

 
I lined the basket on top with moss and planted a sweet potato vine and I I've gone blank on the name of the white one.


This chair is another new addition this year.  A week ago it was full of gorgeous geraniums, but I just deadheaded it.  The licorice plant is huge, but the sweet potato vine has hardly grown.  Go figure?
 
 
 
There are plenty more junk planters on my deck.  an old funeral basket. . .
 
 
A large metal pot. . .can you see the fairy hiding amongst the blooms?

 
and a baby bath tub.

 
Step off the deck and there you'll find an old ladder with some junk items planted with succulents.  A coffee pot, and old pan, and even a drain out of a kitchen sink.  Yup, I spied it at a thrift shop and knew exactly what I was going to do with it.
 
 

 
This big roasting pot was another thrift find that I knew was destined for the garden.

 
Look closely and underneath the leaves you'll spy the spout of an old metal teapot.
 
 
 
 Tool boxes,

 
watering cans, meat grinders,
 
 
 
not even the kitchen sink is safe.  (wink)


 
SHOE is easy to see that I prefer anything over your basic pot.
 
Step out front and more garden junk is to be found.


old buckets,
 

bread box,
 
 
 
washing machine,
 

 
Some where amongst these blooms is an old milk crate.  It's sitting on a wooden dolly.
 
 
Next to it is an old iron footboard.
 
 
And every junk gardener has to have a bike!
 
Now that's a whole lotta junk!!  lol!



And look what I brought home this week

 
More junk!
 
This makes push mower #3.  But how could I not bring it home?
 
How about you, do you love junk in the garden?
 
 
hugs,
Jann
 
This post was featured at:  Thoughts of Home.  Thanks gals!
 
I will be sharing with these lovely parties:




 
 

30 comments

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You are the greatest at "junk gardening" Have a great weekend!!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH how wonderful! Love all of your garden junk...especially that sink! Pinning!

Stacey said...

I think all of your garden junk adds so much character and interest! It would be fun to just walk around in your yard and spy all of the great things you've collected. :)

Rose L said...

I love to do vignettes, little critters, signs and pops of color.

camp and cottage living said...

Junk planters are the best, Jann. Can you ever have too many?
Remind hubby you now have your new shed to store everything in!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love your junk!! I do have junk in the garden but not a fabulous aqua bike....yet!!

Connie said...

I love your junk, too! You know exactly how to place it in the garden to give the eyes wonderful treasures to see and that causes the face to smile. I love gardens with whimsy and yours earns you an A+.
Perfection!!!
Happy gardening.
Connie :)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Your garden is simply beautiful, your plants and flowers are gorgeous... and with junk or not !!
Enjoy your weekend ahead.
FABBY

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann, you know something? You are just so much stinkin' fun. None of it is my style per se, but I sure love seeing the nifty things you do with all your treasured finds. You are wonderful.

Have a wonderful weekend. Big hugs. ♥

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

OH I love how you've fixed up and prettied up the junk!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Love your collection of garden "junk". You have some wonderful pieces. I really like the push mower with the yellow handle!! How cool is that!!
Thanks so muchf or all of your visits!!

Hugs,
Deb

quakerhillfarm said...

Some great pieces! Especially love the aqua!

Jeanie said...

I think junk gardening is completely dependent on terrific junk -- and you have that across the board! Some wonderful pieces here, and they work so well with your beautiful plants!

Tamara said...

Oh Jann,
How fun and charming..and you're so creative. I'm a sister junker and I love the way you've put it all together. Have a great Saturday and thank you for the inspiration!

Hugs,
Tamara

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I love all your garden junk - you have such a talent for putting it all together!!

The Perennial Path said...

You're so creative! So many great ideas!

Lisa said...

Your garden is so lovely! What a wealth of great ideas and inspiration you've given us. Now if only I had a green thumb!;-)

Sharon@bluewillowhouse said...

I love your junk garden. You always have the very best junk and the prettiest flowers. Thank you for sharing at Vintage Charm.

Kim said...

Somehow plants look better in rusty, chippy paint, garden junk. Love all your acquisitions, Jann.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love all of your "junk" and your pretty plants! You definitely have a green thumb and some happy plants. Your new patina piece is a gorgeous blue and the patina is absolutely perfect! What a great find you lucky girl ; )

Connie said...

Jann, I didn't know if my reply to your comment on my blog would actually reach you and I wanted to be sure and let you know how much I appreciated your advice. So, to be sure, here I am saying thank you again: I am so thankful for this advice. I have been racking my brain . . . I knew that there was a way to do this, but I couldn't figure it out. I can't believe it is this easy. You have no idea how excited I am about learning this. It has been stressing me out!
Thank you so very much!
Connie :)

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I just love all your junk, Jann! It adds so much whimsy and fun to your yard. I wish I had more spots to add junk to mine, but it's a small yard. It's always fun to visit your blog and see your great finds!

Art and Sand said...

Your garden is so fun!

Jeannie Marie said...

I love all your containers! I am currently looking to fill an area and was considering flower pots and had purchased a couple already. I may now add a few character pieces. I'm very inspired!

Sandi Magle said...

I have to laugh Jann, I have used all of those above, except the bicycle---simply because I have never found a bicycle at the right price. Too cute---great post and love your garden.

This is the first year we haven't any potato vine because they were all frozen last spring at the nurseries/garden lots. Then the only ones that were left were those indoors and hothouses and over $4.99 each for a sprig in a 4" pot. I have found too hot temperatures and they seem to go dormant, unless they have shade in the past years. Perhaps that is the problem.

Fun post, thanks, SAndi

Cynthia said...

Such super finds Jenny. Love them all. This isn't junk, they're treasures

Cindy

happyone said...

Your junk is beautiful. You have a knack for it. : ) Well done.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Your junk is fabulous Jann and so is your green thumb!
We are featuring you this week at Thoughts of Home On Thursday.
Hugs,
Jemma

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your junk garden. I use to have stuff in my garden, but someone stole my junk pieces over night. So I thought maybe that was just the stuff they wanted...but when we put out Christmas stuff...some took it too. So I now have nothing out front anymore...which is kind of sad.
~Cindy

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a happy and creative use for old 'junk'. The colors and patinas are great.

Instagram