Vintage Chic Style

Hello my friends, today I’m sharing a bit of Vintage Chic Style.

You know that fun vintage piece that with very little effort becomes chic.  Sometimes Mother Nature or time does this for you all by itself.  Other times, you have to help it along.

That’s exactly what I did with an old ice cream maker that I picked up at an estate sale quite a while ago.

What sold me on it in the first place was the turquoise works.  It was natural wood, but I gave it a little charm.

IMG_2712

Almost forgot to take a before picture.  First, I gave it two coats of blue paint.  Diamond Lake, a Clark & Kensington paint that I got at Ace when they had their free quart of paint promo.

IMG_2665

Then I rubbed it in a few spots with a little Vaseline.  Chap stick works great too.  Why, you ask?  Wait and see.  After that I gave it two coats of Vintage White.  Another free paint sample.  Yes, I got two!  I got one and then the next week I was at Ace again.  The employee at the paint counter asked me if I wanted a ‘free’ quart of paint?  I told him that I had got one last weekend.  “It’s o.k.” he said, “you can have another one”.  Let’s just say, he didn’t have to ask twice!  lol!

IMG_2667

Then I sanded.  The white paint did not adhere in the places that I had hit with the Vaseline.  With very little effort I gave it a vintage chic feel.

IMG_2709

I have big plans for this bucket for my Christmas décor, but for now I filled it with my newly harvested Limelight Hydrangea blooms.

IMG_2711

I love how some of the blossoms have touches of pink!

IMG_2708

I was having so much fun that I decided that I couldn’t stop there.

I had this Styrofoam ring that I had picked up at a damaged goods store for $2.

IMG_2705

Because these dried blooms are fragile I poked holes in the ring with a wooden skewer.  Then I inserted the blooms.  I made a cute wreath to hang on the wall of our basement guest bedroom.

IMG_2714

A piece of old crochet lace, a birdie tag, and a bit of bling. . .

IMG_2715

IMG_2717

‘Vintage chic’ charm!

How about you?  Have you given anything a time worn look lately?

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Dwellings for Amaze Me Monday

Mod Vintage Life for Mod Mix Monday

A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

The Scoop

Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday

We Call it Olde

Savvy Southern Style for Wow

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

Stone Cottage Adventures for Tuesday with a Twist

Ivy and Elephants for What's it Wednesday

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

No Minimalist Here for Open House Party

Fall Junkers United

Timewashed for Blissful Whites

Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday

38 comments

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I always see that free paint...I should get some for project too...what a great idea!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Love the Vaseline tip!! It looks so pretty! Your flowers are great and made such a pretty wreath! Hope you are good!
Blessings,
Susie

Pamela Gordon said...

Great idea about the Vaseline! I never heard of that one before. Also the idea to poke holes with a skewer before inserting the hydrangea blossoms is really good. The stems break so easily. I like your wreath. Have a great week.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I use to sit on top of an ice cream maker like that while someone turned the crank. Sweet memories. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

NanaDiana said...

Jann- That turned out great. I have an ice cream maker like that and we actually USE it- I know-can you believe it? Like how yours turned out! xo Diana

Art and Sand said...

I have done very little creating lately, but that will change tomorrow.

Love your ice cream maker.

Art and Sand said...

I have done very little creating lately, but that will change tomorrow.

Love your ice cream maker.

retrorevival.biz said...

You did a great job and it looks so great!

Cynthia said...

I can't wait to get back to being creative. Love what you have done with the ice cream maker. The hydrangeas are gorgeous!!!

Cynthia

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love the hydrangea wreath, the flower that gives all growing season!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love the bucket and the wreath looks perfectly romantic.

Rose said...

So clever!

Junkchiccottage said...

Jann,
This old vintage Ice cream maker is so pretty with how you painted it. Love the chippy feel. So pretty with the hydrangeas. I cannot wait to see what you do with it for Christmas.
Kris

lynne said...

I love that! I haven't tried Vaseline yet for distressing. I'm too worried I will either do too much or the wrong place. Do you just wipe it on with your finger or a brush?

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann, you are always so danged clever. This looks awesome, per usual.

Thanks for your visit today! Nice finally getting back to blogland, been missing it.

Hugs.

Cecilia said...

Jann,
I'm visiting from the Lavender Garden party...love the hydrangeas! And your bucket! Thanks for sharing how you gave it a vintage look. I need to try that.

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

Thank you so much for sharing your ice cream maker and the great painting tip!
Lovely, lovely blog post! We'll be back soon!

xox Glad & Cel
P.S. We are your newest followers!!

Leovi said...

Wonderful designs and transformations in these photos, beautiful creations!
Un abrazo!

LindyLouMac said...

A lovely post, great ideas and like the tip about Vaseline.

Audrey said...

Love your freezer Jann. I have used the Vaseline technique too and it can create a very realistic look for peeling paint. Great job.
Thanks for stopping by Timeless Treasures with a nice comment.
Audrey Z.

Robin Johnson said...

The ice cream bucket is so adorable. I love it how you made it more "you"

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love your style and how you painted the old bucket! Visiting from Nifty Thrify Tuesday!

Kris said...

Love the bucket!!
xo Kris

Tea in the Library said...

Love the Vaseline tip. The hydrangeas are great. Many years ago, in my Previous Life, a neighbor had 2 HUGE Limelights - and every fall she pruned it down to nothing. Luckily the neighbor had no objection to me hauling all the dried blooms home. Reading this post brings back nice memories of that neighbor, and a wealth of hydrangeas. I love the wreath you made and the bouquet. I was remarking on another post how nice it is to be able to gather from ones own yard. We're very blessed!

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

This is so pretty, Jann. Love the bucket and your choice of paint colors. I've heard of the vaseline technique, but never thought of chapstick! I'm working on some little "time-worn" things for the shop this week :)

Jeanette

priscilla said...

Beautiful ! Love the hydrangeas !

A Joyful Cottage said...

Your hydrangeas are so lovely. Great job on revamping the ice cream maker. Love it, Jann! So charming.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOVELY!!! :) and quite creative! :)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I have thought about buying an ice cream maker so many times. I love yours and the dried hydrangeas too.

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Love the ice cream maker and how it turned out. Your hydrangeas are beautiful in it too!

Fran said...

I liked the before picture, I would definitely have taken that ice cream maker home with me...but I LOVE what you did with it! So pretty! :)
--Fran

BECKY said...

Just love this!! I am going to try the Vaseline technique!! Turned out great!
Have a lovely day!
Becky

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Jann --

That crochet lace certainly is eye candy. Perfect finishing touch for your wreath that will welcome your overnight guests.

Debra

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, thanks for hosting the party and I love everything that you create and you make everything pretty. Happy Halloween, Julie

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

Both projects look great! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Your bucket of blooms is beautiful, Jann! I love the ice bucket and I love hydrangeas. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Love it, you're right, that's a great shade of blue! Your wreath is lovely, too. Thanks so much for sharing this at my We Call It Olde Link Up this week. Hope to see you again Tuesday. -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

Kathy said...

there's nothing more charming than the patina of time - nothing more brilliant than being able to replicate that - loved this! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Instagram